Monday, May 12, 2014

Way to A, B, C with the best of ‘em, kiddo!



Do I love my daughter? More than there are words to describe. Do I think she is awesome even when she trips over nothing in the hallway, sings WAY off-key, makes up songs that have words like ‘underpants’ & ‘armpits’ weaved into the lyrics, and thinks her Seinfeld Elaine dancing is worthy of a 10 from Len? No doubt. 


She’s 5. It is my job to encourage her to do whatever she wants, however she wants and tell her that she is doing great – because she is TRYING. That’s all any parent can ask from his/her kiddo at this stage. Yes, some people have ‘phenom’ kids who are already doing standing back flips or reading at a 3rd grade level. I get psyched when Ellie can do a somersault without ending up stuck on her head and when she can sound out the word ‘dog’ with me in a Level 1 book. Because I am her mother. I am proud of each and everything she does. I celebrate those moments with her, and I praise her for her efforts and her little ‘wins.’ I think she is the most amazing child that has ever existed on planet earth… Even though I know the chances of that being the reality is pretty slim. 

She has learned a lot in her short time in the world, and I am proud of her and know that she is ready to take the next step and start Kindergarten this fall. But a graduation ceremony from preschool? Is that really necessary? A cute little certificate would be appropriate... And if it came with a free milkshake with an extra cherry on top from Chick-Fil-A, she might even be excited about it.

Not only did I NOT march in a ‘graduation’ processional from preschool, I didn’t ‘graduate’ from Kindergarten. Or 6th grade. Or junior high school. I DID graduate from high school, college, and a master’s program. Those pieces of paper hold currency in the real world. I remember getting them; I remember earning them. Ellie doesn’t remember what she did in school last Friday. 

A graduation is intended to be the culmination of a long journey; the completion of a course of study… She is awesome at her A, B, C’s, her numbers, AND she colors in between the lines. Those things are great; I am delighted that she can do them. But I do not want her to think that she is entitled to that level of attention from everyone for, well, not much. 


This is not a knock on parents, teachers, administrators, etc. who enjoy preschool graduations. To each his own. But in my mind, this kind of pomp & circumstance cheapens the major milestone celebrations that I want to cherish along this journey with her. And, quite frankly, adults don't have the attention span long enough to get through most graduation ceremonies - do we really think 4 & 5 year olds do?!



…And please don’t get me started on participation trophies.


No comments:

Post a Comment